Brazil Tinder Box
Extreme Weather Conditions Persist in Brazil: Winter Frosts and Winter Drought, Excessive Heat
- Farmers Skeletonizing and Stumping Trees,
- Hoping they Survive
- Farmers across the frost zone areas have been assessing their tree conditions post-harvest and determining the best course of action for their future.
- Trees that have not had vascular system damage are being pruned to give hope for renewed growth of the branches, which then should produce again for the 2023/24 crop but have no production in 2022/23.
- Drought and High Temperatures Diminish Hopes for a Strong Flowering
- Coffee trees are starting to blossom, but with the driest conditions in decades and high temperatures, the trees critical pre-flowering stage could already be compromised. Sufficient rainfall in a timely manner is critical for the support of the flowers or further losses could occur.
- Even the most prolific flowering could be lost if there isn’t sufficient leaves to support the energy balance in the trees, no matter how much precipitation there might be in October and November.